PAGES

Search This Blog

Jul 24, 2015

5 ways to increase your income as a makeup artist

OK, I know I said "as a make-up artist" but trust me, even if you are not one, you will pick up tips that can help you grow your clientèle and keep you smiling to the Bank.

Steven Depolo

1. Carve a niche: 
Yes don't try to be everything to everybody. You can do a lot of things but you should be known for something in particular.

 If you talk about having a fashion show in Ibadan for example and need a make up artist, my name might not readily come to mind.

But I've had a lot of make up training  referrals from friends, friends of friends and total strangers because they know I'm particular about training and empowerment.

2. Add extra value:
There are so many make up artists around these days, and believe me it's not a bad thing. There are millions of women, potential clients in Nigeria so fear not.

What you should be thinking of is what extra value can i add to make my client happier and me, richer?

Can I offer a mini facial before the makeup application at an extra fee?
Can I offer colour selection services (since i know about the colour theory and how it affects skin tones and undertones)
Can I also make the bride's hair/beads?
...
3. Learn the basics (or go deep if you can) of Portraiture (portrait photography)
As a makeup artist in these days of Instagram, flickr, Tumblr and so on, having good photography skills can make you more attractive to prospective clients. If you can afford it, get a DSLR camera, and take a course in photography. Knowing the basics of concepts like focus, aperture, rule of thirds, exposure and noise and so on will go a long way in improving the way your pictures look.

4. Ask for referrals
Don't just take screen shots of their pings and use as DP. Ask your clients to introduce you to their friends who might need your services. If they really enjoyed their time with you, doing that shouldn't be a problem.

5. Never stop learning!
I cannot over emphasize this. Learn deep and learn wide.
Buy and read beauty books
study about other fields related to make up
Learn the ropes of business management
attend courses and seminars
watch videos...
Whatever you do, never stop learning.

To learn more about how to improve yourself and your business, you can join us at www.wellandempowered.link, a community of women in or hoping to start their own business where we use Christian prinicples to improve ourselves spiritually, physically, intellectually and financially.

Till next time
xx
Olubunmi
`

No comments:

Post a Comment