PAGES

Search This Blog

Jul 31, 2015

How to build confidence in your child

source
I don't normally do this, write about children, but i guess it's not outside my jurisdiction since I'm a mother, by the grace of God and a wellness coach as well.

I noticed a trend in me and other mothers around me and I'm consciously trying to stop it, I hope you will too.

We tend to take full charge of our children's lives. We chose their clothes, their friends, their toys! We tell them what exactly to say, do, wear, watch, buy and so on. We go as far as doing their homework "for" them, claiming we are doing it "with" them (I've been guilty of this more times than 1, Why? is a story for another day)

While this might be an act of love on our part, it doesn't really work out right at the end.
When we take full charge of our children's lives we are indirectly telling them "you can't and shouldn't think so I'm the one going to make all your decisions for you".

Such a child becomes lazy, dependent and worst of all a drifter (someone who cannot and does not make their own decisions but relies on friends, family and society to dictate to them).

Next time you are tempted to say, like me,  Fifi, this is what you would do (wear, say, act...) why not go this way first.
"Fifi, what would you like to do (wear, buy, say...)?" If the answer is wrong or unfavourable, you can take the second route and ask "why did you choose that?"

Many times, if we only knew why our children make their choices, then we would really be able to help them. If the motive is wrong, you can then go ahead and correct it, explaining clearly why you think it is wrong.

This will greatly boost your child's confidence, intellect, social and communication skills.
A child who knows you would always ask for his/her opinion will make thinking a habit.


Till next time,
stay beeyoutiful
xx
Olubunmi



3 comments:

  1. I love this post...its really important building confidence on our children..it gonna help them alot .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. A confident child can achieve much and conquer the world in future.

      Delete